viernes, 29 de abril de 2011

2 weeks in Bogotá


After two weeks in Bogotá, I am finally able to get around by self with any problems. I take the Transmilenio everywhere and then I walk from there to wherever I am going.

Bogotá in one word is amazing. It is a very nice city. It is very beautiful. It’s very clean. For a city of this size, there is not much pollution. Traffic is kind of bad, especially because of the rain and the numerous unfinished construction projects to extend the Transmilenio bus service.

Really, my main observation is that Bogota is a city of sharp contrasts. (probably like all big cities). On one hand, the city looks very modern, while on the other, it feels as if you are traveling back in time.


Expensive penthouses.

 Very modern looking city.




 A guy who sells things on horse back. These people have an amazing ability to control their horses. They ride them down busy streets and don't even look scared. They act like they are in car.


A guy walking his llama (I love llamas, I wouldn't mind having a couple).

The city is amazing and I highly recommend it to everyone. You will have fun. Colombians will make sure you do. I love this city. I can't wait to see even more of it.

Here are some other random things/pictures of Bogotá and/or Colombians.

Colombians watch NASCAR. (at least it’s on TV a lot)

Using the same logic, Colombians must also like reruns of The Nanny.  (who would do that to themselves?)

I’ve never seen so many donkeys, horses and llamas in such a big city.

People tend to think I am French (don’t know if that is an insult or not).

They play Hootie and the Blowfish on the radio.


There are no Starbucks. But if you want Juan Valdez or Oma, there is one on every street corner.

If you hate salsa music, don’t come here.

The Colombian word for baseball hat is cachucha. Sounds like someone is sneezing.

Jean jackets are not only popular in Canada….there are plenty of people sporting the Canadian tux down here, too.

Colombians might be the number 1 consumer of car horns.

All driving laws are ignored.

The only English language newspaper available in Bogotá seems to be The Miami Herald.

When people find out that I am from the United States they ask me if Indiana is close to Miami.

All radio stations play the Colombian national anthem every 12 hours. (6am, 6pm)

There are a lot of protests.

Nobody seems to have heating or air conditioning. You never need either here.

Every tree in every park has a sticker on it with a number. Somewhere in Bogota, there is a big book where you can look up the life story of any tree.

You can also buy Seattle Supersonics jerseys.





Some random pictures.

I've gained a couple of pounds since I arrived. (or this is a Fernando Botero painting of me)



DINOSAURIOS!!!

Still having fun in Bogotá! Saludos desde Colombia!