domingo, 10 de julio de 2011

Guatavita Part. 1

 I like cows. I like milk.

After a couple months of urban life in Bogotá and my first work week, we decided to hop an incredibly Catholic bus (it had pictures of the Virgen Mary all over it) and experience a little rural Colombian life. At least there wouldn't be constant Avianca flights passing by overhead, random car alarms or car horn honking competitions held on every street interrupting the day.

Deidi suggested that we stop by a town called Guatavita. Sounded good to me. Guatavita, in the province of Guavio, is located about an 1.5 hour bus ride north of Bogotá and has a population of just under 6,000.

Random picture from Colombian countryside.

Approaching the town by bus.

Even though the town looks colonial, this is not where the original town was built. It was moved in 1967, where colonial looking buildings were constructed. Still is beautiful. The town also has a large indigenous influence.





Every building is white with red tile roofs. Must be pretty easy to give directions. Just right next to the white building....



According to the locals, grilled lamb ribs are a traditional dish here. Delicious.

The restaurant we ate at.

My favorite coffee shop so far in Colombia. Café Machete. It has some communist decorations and the owner is a cool guy that has a great collection of experimental music.

 Che Guevara with a Sombrero Costeño.

The inside of the cafe. 


 Beautiful mountains.







 Coffee from Cafe Machete. The strongest  I've had. I was wired for a few hours.

That's all for now. I have more on Guatavita, but not the time to post it now. I will post more next week!

Back in Bogotá. Doing great!

Saludos desde Bogotá!